Best books on Climate change
If you purchase products through links on this page I receive a small commission at no cost to you. I was not paid for writing the comments about the books below and I did not receive them as freebies. I am suggesting these best books on climate change for you as I think they are great and I think you will too.
There are many great children's books that can help children learn about the environment and develop an appreciation for nature. Here are some examples:
- The Lorax by Dr. Seuss: This classic tale tells the story of a creature who speaks for the trees and the importance of protecting the environment.
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein: This book explores the relationship between a tree and a young boy, teaching about the value of nature and the importance of taking care of it.
- The Magic School Bus and the Climate Challenge by Joanna Cole: In this book, Ms. Frizzle and her class explore the causes and effects of climate change, as well as the ways they can reduce their carbon footprint.
- The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry: This book tells the story of a man who is about to cut down a great kapok tree, and the animals who plead with him to spare it and protect their habitat.
- The Earth Book by Todd Parr: This colorful book encourages children to take simple actions to help protect the earth, such as turning off lights and recycling.
- The Adventures of a Plastic Bottle by Alison Inches: This book follows the journey of a plastic bottle from a factory to a landfill, teaching about the impact of plastic on the environment.
- Our Big Home: An Earth Poem by Linda Glaser: This beautiful poem celebrates the diversity of life on earth and encourages children to be stewards of the planet.
- One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia by Miranda Paul: This true story tells the inspiring tale of a woman who started a recycling movement in her community to reduce plastic waste.
- The Water Princess by Susan Verde: This book tells the story of a young girl who must walk long distances to fetch water for her village, teaching about the importance of access to clean water.
- The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter: This book tells the story of Jane Goodall and her work studying chimpanzees, inspiring children to learn about and protect endangered species.
Penguin environmental book recommendations
Two of the top of Penguin's list of best books for teaching children about the environment are:
Princess Olivia Investigates: The Wrong Weather, by Lucy Hawking, is a great mystery story, with loads of information included.
The Green Planet by Leisa Stewart-Sharpe & Kim Smith (2022) has beautiful illustrations and interesting facts.
For more Penguin recommendations click here
Guardian environmental book recommendations
Julia Eccleshare, from the Guardian, recommends The Great Kapok Tree. I have used this book myself with children aged 7-8years and found it provided excellent opportunities for discussion around deforestation and why people follow along with things they don't really want to do. The pictures are stunning and show just how many animals live in the great tree.
The Trouble with dragons is an excellent story; it highlights the devastation made to the planet by the dragons who do not consider anyone else. A great opening for discussions around environmental themes.
For more Guardian recommendations on good environmental books for children click here
Best Books on Climate Change: Other good reads
Wilds of the Wolf by Steve Backshall has all the ingredients for an exciting adventure. The main characters, Saker and Sinter, take on a billionaire oil and gas businessman who has no regard for the environment and who is also hunting Siberian wolves. Battling blizzards and avalanches they risk all to save the wolves and the environment. A great read for adventure-loving children.